I’m not sure where to start! Lot’s of music this Sunday! We’re going to sing songs that span our history (at least for the 22 years I’ve been here at River Oaks). There’s been so many songs through out the years, it was really difficult to choose.
We tried to go with songs that were easy to learn, even if you’ve never heard them. Here’s what we came up with:
1. I Can Be Glad: The first worship song we played on my first Sunday as Worship Director. I took a chance with this one, a little different than what the church was used to in 1992 (more urban gospel). There were a few people in the congregation with that “deer in the headlights” look!
2. Again I Say Rejoice: A song we currently sing, written by Israel Houghton. It’s actually a song we sang with our choir several years ago. I personally love the Israel songs, especially when we have our horn section with us!
3. Lift Him Up: Ron Kenoly was quite a popular worship leader in the early 90’s. We sang a lot of his songs. They worked well for us, and I loved that they leaned on the urban-gospel side.
4. He Is Exalted: Another staple worship song for the church in the 90’s. This morning we’re doing a new updated arrangement of this classic song.
5. God Is Able: Our opening band song was an instrumental version of Ron Kenoly’s song “God is Able”. This current Hillsong song (of the same name) has been very meaningful to us these last few years. Also a blessing when Lindsay Harris sings it.
6. I Saw the Light/I’ll Fly Away: It’s always great fun for the musicians (and I hope the congregation) when we do a more stripped down acoustic Sunday, featuring banjo, acoustic bass, dobro, stumpfiddle.. This great Hank Williams tune is so joyful!
7. My Trust Is In the Name of the Lord: Another song from our past. Very simple, but oh so true!
8. Great is Thy Faithfulness/How Great is Our God: Two great songs that are so fitting when looking back on the history of River Oaks.
9. Like Never Before: This is a newer song we’ve been singing. Lyric: “You have been good so I’ll sing, like never before”. Great thought as we look forward to our next 25 years!
10. You Are Good: We close with this simple statement. Can you say AMEN!
We’re expecting a lot of people this Sunday, so be early!