So what do you think parents? Should youth group be elective. This morning a youth pastor friend of mine posted an article that talked about this very thing. You can find the article here: What Happens when Parents and Kids see Youth Group as Simply an Elective?
It makes some interesting statements:
- For the past few years, it has been obvious that the culture in which we do ministry has fundamentally changed.
- Now, students along with their parents see fellowship, gathered worship, church, and youth group as electives.
- Students are relational animals and will only participate in an environment where they have friends and feel welcomed and cared for.
- For the sake of their children, adults need to model that commitment to Christian worship and fellowship is not an elective.
- May we, in a loving and gracious way, sound the alarm and make the case that involvement in student ministry is not an elective course in faith development, but vital for the faith formation of our students.
Check out the article. I’d love to hear your thoughts. I certainly have plenty of thoughts regarding this and would love to chat about them sometime.