Sunday, December 29, 2013, River Oaks’ was challenged by Dustin Kaehr, one of our Elders. Dustin spoke from Nehemiah 6:1-4, where Nehemiah was rebuilding the wall and could not come down because he was “doing a great work.”
When applying Nehemiah’s leadership example to our own lives, we were asked:
- What is your great work? What is your purpose—and don’t confuse purpose with priorities? (Ps. 138:8, Romans 8:28, Col. 1:9-10, 2 Thes. 1:11-12) Our priorities are how we fulfill our purpose of bringing glory to God and pointing those around us to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
- What is your “one thing?” What is pulling you down off of your wall?
Four things to know to stay on the wall and deal with that One Thing:
- Pay attention to it! (1 Peter 1:13, 1 Peter 5:8, Prov. 5:22-23)
- Confess it! (Psalm 32:5, 1 John 1:9, Romans 6:11)
- Find support for it! (Prov. 12:15)
- Chase Him who overcame IT! (John 16:33, Hebrews 4:15-16)
Remember: There is a great reward today, and in heaven, for completing the sections of the wall that God has you working on. Stay on your wall!