Sunday, Tommy Morelock spoke about the God of Abraham and Sarah’s faith, as seen in Gen. 17-18, the God Almighty (Gen. 17:1)– in the Hebrew it would be El Shaddai.
The Literal English translation of El Shaddai would be “God/El of the Mountain” – mountains were seen as a natural phenomenon – something that is impressive or extraordinary. This name for God, El Shaddai-God Almighty is actually a play on words and essentially says I know these mountains are massive…I know they are impressive…I know they are strong…BUT I am so much bigger and stronger than they are…I am the Lord of these hills…I am All-powerful…I am El Shaddai…I am God Almighty!
To Abraham and Sarah’s doubt and questions about Sarah potentially having a child at such an old age, God reminded them: “I’m El Shaddai! I’m God Almighty! I’m the one who spoke everything into existence. It’s no laughing matter. I can do it. I can do anything. Nothing is too difficult for me.”
Tommy reminded us of five, qualities of Our God Almighty that we can always cling to…. whatever our circumstance:
- Our God Almighty…Has power over nature. (Ex. 17:1-7)
- Our God Almighty…Has power over circumstances. (Acts 12:4-16)
- Our God Almighty…Has power over hearts. (Exodus 11)
- Our God Almighty…Does not change. (Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8, Isaiah 40:28)
- Our God Almighty…Is able! (Ephesians 3:20)
And we were left with two considerations:
- Is “God Almighty” your God? (Matthew 11:28-29)
- If “God Almighty” is your God, call on Him regularly and do not lose hope! (Philippians 4:6)
Let’s turn the focus from Abraham and Sarah to you….as we serve that same God Almighty today. Tommy asked us a couple of significant questions:
- If you could ask God for one miracle in your life, knowing that he would grant your request, what would you ask?
- How often do you bring your request to God in prayer trusting that he will intervene in your situation?
Maybe this is the week for you to take another step of faith and trust “the God Almighty, El Shaddai” with all of your heart, consistently.
What was your experience like at River Oaks on Sunday? Anything you would like to share with the staff?
Leaning into the arms of El Shaddai this week!